History

CEG was established in May of 1794, as a School of Survey with one student in a building near Fort St. George. Founded by Michael Topping, the school became the Civil Engineering School in 1858. Subsequently, CEG was established as a college in 1859 under the Madras University. It was then rechristened as College of Engineering in 1861 with the inclusion of the Mechanical Engineering course.